Home, Fiddlers, and collaboration!

Greetings from snowy Germany!

The last month and a half have been busy, so I'll spare you most of the tedious details. I have been hoping to post for about a month, but I've been busy recovering from a flu bug that moved in as I flew back from the US at the beginning of January, and has only recently gotten better. In the midst of sickness and busyness, there is excitement, with great things happening in many areas.
First, we are heading into production week for our school musical, Fiddler on the Roof. This is the first time I've been involved as part of the pit; I've also been playing piano for daily after-school rehearsals. The cast has been working hard, learning lines, practicing the songs, and enjoying the process. After any of them finish singing one of the numbers, the others will applaud and encourage them. It's pretty cool to watch. Performances are this coming weekend (February 23-25), and we would appreciate prayer for strength, and for the many teaching moments that happen during a production like this. Fun fact: I learned how to attach a synthetic beard to a face yesterday, and it's actually not that hard! I'm in charge of hair for this thing, and I'm learning a lot in the process.
Second, there is a lot happening in both Piano 1 and 2. Piano 1 just submitted their first project, a composition that describes the idea of "Home." I realize that this seems like a deep and difficult project for beginner pianos students. However, each student came up with a short melody that described a place, people, or feelings that reminded them of what it feels like to be at home. You can learn a lot about a person when you take words out of the equation. I was impressed with the vulnerability of my students, as well as the gentle and hopeful way in which they listened to and encouraged the work of their classmates. They never cease to amaze me.
When I enter the classroom to teach Piano 2, the students are often playing, collaborating, creating, and improvising. This particular class stands out with an aptitude for creativity. They enjoy imitating melodies that they know, or creating their own, and then weaving them together. We are working on reinforcing other areas of knowledge, and I am excited to see how strong they are by the end of the semester.
Third, I am helping to lead a group of students on a study trip to Israel in about a month. To say that I'm excited is an understatement. I'm looking forward to walking through these experiences with our team of students. They are insightful and observant, and I know that traveling with them will be rich.
Finally, I am thinking and praying about the future. Next year is my fifth consecutive year at BFA, which means that I can either file for an extension to stay an additional year or two, or I can leave the country for one full year. I am considering many options at the moment, and will keep you updated as I am able. For now, however, I am in need of maintaining financial and prayer support so that I continue to teach and serve here for as long as I am called. At this point, I am seeking more monthly financial partners, as my support is a bit low. I am also helping with the study trip to Israel, which requires so additional funds. With two opportunities to partner in giving with what God is doing, would you consider joining me? Any amount will help!
If you already support me, I want to thank you!!! Because of you, God has confirmed the fact that He has called me here, and I am learning what it means to be fully available to Him. God gives daily affirmation that I am exactly where He wants me. I am so grateful to be here in this place at this time.

Thank God with me:

1. For continued depth in relationship with students and colleagues
2. For daily strength and energy - I've been learning not to take this for granted.
3. For those who are partnering with me in prayer and finances.
4. For three fantastic performances of Fiddler! (*this is an update! I wrote this post just before the performances)

Please pray:

1. That my relationship with God will continue to be my top priority, and that He will be clearly seen in all I do.
2. For High School retreat this weekend. Pray for safe travels and for God's continued great work in hearts.
3. For health and rest for the entire community.
4. For more financial partners, which are needed for me to be able to continue serving here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Easter Week

Commissioning

Advent Week 1: Hope